Edinburgh council have unveiled plans to electrify Greyfriars Bobby in a bid to stop tourists from rubbing his nose for good luck.
A spokesperson for the council told us “We are sick and tired of having to respray Bobby’s nose two or three times a year just because some feckin eejit tourists think it’s meant to bring good luck if you rub it.
“I mean have you ever heard anything as fucking ridiculous in your life!?
“We get that it makes for a funny photo to post on The Gram [Instagram] or The Facebook but for Christ sake just stand beside him and smile with your two thumbs up or something. There’s no need to go rubbing his nose. He’s doesn’t have a genie inside him. He’s not a magic lamp!
“We plan to electrify the statue so if anyone touches him they’ll get a nasty shock. Nothing too painful or life threatening but enough to get the ‘fucking stop that’ message across. A bit like an electric fence around a field of cattle. Although cow’s have a bit more sense than some of these half wits to be honest!
“They do the same with the statue of Hume on High Street. They rub his fucking toe. Can you believe that!? I mean who the fuck are these people. How will rubbing Hume’s toe bring you good luck!?”
We couldn’t give him a definitive answer.
“So we plan to see how it goes with Greyfriars Bobby first then we will most likely have to electrify the Hume statue as well” continued the council spokesperson.
We put a shout out on The Twitter to see if we could find anyone who’s luck had changed for the better as a result of rubbing Greyfriar’s Boaby or Hume’s big toe.
We got a response for @minitheminx1299548747,who lives in London saying “I touched Greyfriar’s Boaby on the Saturday morning and that evening I got three numbers up on the lotto, winning £30. I’ve never won anything before. So yeah if I’m ever back in Edinburgh I’ll definitely be rubbing plenty more of the Boaby.”
We got another reply from @spoofylaroux123, who is from Paris, saying “I sucked Hume’s big toe on the Friday night on way home from the pub. Got really sick on the Saturday morning. Hospitalized on the Saturday evening. I shat and puked my brains out right through the night. But according to doctors I made a miraculous recovery and got discharged on Sunday evening. I was very lucky indeed.”
We let the council spokesperson see the replies we had received.
“It’s all a fucking nonsense. I mean what the actual fuck!?
“Einstein was bang on when he said ‘Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe’
“Next thing you know they’ll be down in Princes Street Gardens rubbing that bear’s nose for luck” he said shaking his head in disbelief.
We waited for a few moments before we broke the news to him at which point he fell to the ground sobbing and slobbering all over the footpath.
In the end we had to call for medical assistance who arrived promptly (hashtag NHS Heroes), sedated him and took him away to hospital in the back of an ambulance.
The good news is he’s now out of sedation and making a full recovery at home surrounded by his family and friends and his two cats Tiffany Chinstraps and Triple Cooked Chips.
More live articles
- TK Maxx shopper shocked at saucy display stating shop should be renamed TK Sexx - A TK Maxx shopper has slammed the American department store after spotting a saucy Xmas product on the shelves. She took to Facebook, warning others, calling it 'vile' and a 'mockery to Xmas'. The shopper has been left 'disgusted' after spotting the product on the shelves of the popular department… Continue reading
- 98% of Edinburgh public think Gordon Ramsay’s new Bread Street Kitchen is in the city’s Pubic Triangle - Gordon Ramsay's new Edinburgh restaurant Bread Street Kitchen opened to much fanfare today. The fancy new eaterie is located in the city's salubrious St Andrew Square. But the restaurant's name has confused a majority of Edinburgh locals. We took to the streets to ask the public where they would expect… Continue reading
- Is there anything more Xmassy than drinking in a garden shed next to a building site? - Yes, it's that time of year again folks. Xmas is just around the corner. It's time to blow the cob webs off the purses and wallets. Get out there and shop till you drop. But just before you drop get your weary feet round to St James Quarter's bargain basement… Continue reading
- McDonald’s submit plans to open restaurant on McArthur’s Seat - McDonald's have recently submitted plans to open a new restaurant on the site of the ruins of St. Anthony's Chapel on the hill above St. Margaret's Loch in Holyrood Park. A spokesperson for the restaurant made an announcement from the site today stating that there is no better place in… Continue reading
- Pint sized Hollywood heart throb Tom Cruise splashes out on luxury East Lothian property - High heel wearing Hollywood legend Tom Cruise has decided to fork out a small fortune on a new luxury home. But the plush property is not in the Berkeley Hills in California, nor is the magnificent mansion in London's expensive Park Lane (according to our Monopoly board). It's in Seton… Continue reading